Harrisonburg City Public Schools offers the following benefits to staff (please click on each benefit title for more information):
AFLAC offers a variety of insurance policies as a convenience to HCPS staff. Staff receive group discount rates when premiums are payroll deducted.
Contact Twila Showalter, Larry Showalter or Curtis Steele: 2515 East Market Street - Suite E, Harrisonburg VA 22801 at 434-2398 or 1-800-648-1932.
Assurant Dental Insurance
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- The Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act of 2010 has changed the rules for the purchase of Over-The-Counter (OTC) products using a Flexible Spending Account
- Information regarding our health insurance plan can be obtained by contacting our Anthem representative, Sandy Bogen, in the Municipal Building from 11:30AM to 1:30PM on the second Wednesday of each month or by contacting Anthem Customer Service at 800-552-2103.
- General Notice of Privacy Practices - HIPPA
- Cyber Attack and Credit Protection
Minnesota Life Insurance Company / VRS
- The school division pays the premiums for your Basic Life Insurance.
- Basic Life Insurance is equal to your retirement salary, rounded to the next highest thousand, and then doubled.
- Active members of VRS may purchase Optional Life Insurance in the amount equal to one, two, three or four times your annual salary.
- You may also purchase Optional Life Insurance for your spouse and dependent children.
Long Term Care Insurance
Genworth Financial / VRS
- For more information about Long Term Care Insurance:
- On-line Open Enrollment Process for new hires only
- Visit www.genworth.com/cov to complete the on-line enrollment process
- Deadline for on-line open enrollment has passed for all current staff members
- Sick leave days may be used for maternity, paternity or adoption leave. Staff should consult their principal/supervisor to coordinate requested leave dates.
- Please refer to School Board Policy #631 for further information.
Staff members working half-time or more earn two personal leave days per year.
Half-time staff earn two half-days of personal leave.
No personal leave is earned by staff working less than half-time.
- Please refer to School Board Policy #629 for further information.
- The Superintendent may, if it is in the best interest of the school division, grant professional leave to teachers or administrators to attend conferences, meeting, or other activities.
- Professional leave may be granted with or without reimbursement of expenses.
- No classroom teacher may be absent from teaching for more than five days per year due to conference attendance.
- Professional leave is not granted to a teacher/parent accompanying his/her child on a field trip.
- Please refer to School Board Policy #660 for more information.
Short & Long Term Disability - VRS Hybrid Members
- All full-time staff accrue one sick leave day for each month worked. (Part-time staff accrue a proportional number of days).
- Your supervisor should be notified as early as possible and lesson plans should be prepared in advance for a substitute.
- Please refer to School Board Policy #634 for more information.
Sick Leave Bank
- The school division offers its staff a sick leave bank wherby all contributors to the bank may benefit in case of a catastrophic ailment or injury.
- To be eligible to join the sick leave bank, staff must have been employed by HCPS for at least one year.
- Sick leave bank members may draw up to 60 days from the bank once their sick leave has been exhausted and a 30-day waiting period has expired.
- Please refer to School Board Policy #627 for more information.
Tuition Reimbursement Program
- The school division provides tuition reimbursement for Teachers and Administrators of up to $900 for college level course(s) per school calendar year.
- The school division provides tuition reimbursement for Classified Staff of up to $900 for college level course(s) per school calendar year (must lead to a teaching license or will improve skills in the current responsibilities/assignment).
- Required Forms
- Class Registration (This form must be submitted for approval of tuition reimbursement prior to the start date of the class/course. Reimbursement may not be available without prior approval.)
- Request for Reimbursement (Submit this form no later than 10 days after completing your course.)
Vacation (250-day / 12 month staff)
- Only full-time 250-day staff receive vacation (annual) leave, which is earned based on years of HCPS service:
- 0-5 years: 10 days
- 6-10 years: 12 days
- 11-15 years: 15 days
- 16-20 years: 18 days
- over 20 years: 21 days
Virginia Credit Union Information
Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
- Annual Fee Disclosure Notice 457
- PLAN 1
- Staff members whose membership is before July 1, 2010 are covered under the provisions of the VRS Plan 1.
- Staff may be active or deferred
- Active members are currently working in a covered position.
- Deferred members are not currently working in a covered position and have not withdrawn their funds and have service credit in VRS or an account balance in a Virginia optional retirement plan (ORP) as of June 30, 2010.
- Deferred members who return to covered employment will be rehired under Plan 1.
- Plan 1 - Member FAQ's
- PLAN 2
- Staff members whose membership date is July 1, 2010 or later are covered under the provisions of the VRS Plan 2
- Staff who were previously employed in a covered position and withdrew their funds will be rehired under Plan 2 if they return to covered employment with no service credit in VRS or no ORP balance.
- Plan 2 - Member FAQ's