Guest Teacher/Substitute Handbook
1. Please complete the on-line application that can be accessed via the substitute employment opportunities listed under the Careers tab on the HCPS webpage. For new applicants, you will need to register for a Recruit and Hire Account. You can attach various pieces of information such as a resume, letters of reference, etc. Submit your on-line application when it is complete.
2. Please complete the Child Abuse and Neglect Training on-line training by selecting the link. Print your certificate to bring to your appointment or you can attach it to your application.
3. Also, review the information contained in the Guest Teacher/Substitute Handbook
4. Yeevonne Connolly from Human Resources will call you to schedule an appointment after receiving your application.
5. Please bring or verify the following information at this appointment: Child Abuse and Neglect training form, your driver's license, Social Security card, and Permanent Residence card if you have one.
6. Also, bring a $15.00 check made out to HCPS for the criminal background check and a $10.00 money order made payable to the Virginia Department of Social Services for the Child Protective Services report.
7. At your appointment with Human Resources, you will complete both the I-9 and W-4 tax forms. (federal and state)
8. We also need a copy of a recent Tuberculosis (TB) test from a Doctor's office or from your Health Center. We will provide you with a form at your appointment.
9. Human Resources will also check your provided references and will verify that you either have a 2-year college degree or equivalent or a 4-year college degree or equivalent. They will also verify whether you have or are eligible for a current state of Virginia teaching license which is required for long term substitute teaching assignments of more than 10 consecutive days. Please attach transcripts to your application or bring a copy to your appointment.
10. ALL new substitute teachers are REQUIRED to attend one training event that will be offered at the HCPS Central Office building at One Court Square across the street from the WHSV-TV3 television station. You can park in either the Elizabeth Street or Water Street parking garages and walk easily to One Court Square. The next open training dates are March 30th and March 31st from 9:00-11:30 a.m. Please email Mr. Lynn Sprouse (email@example.com) in the HR office to schedule/verify your training date/time. You can complete this training prior to items 1-8 being completed, but these items must be complete before you are approved by the HCPS School Board for employment.
11. You will receive an email the day after the School Board has approved your file. You will be added to our substitute list and can start receiving calls or signing up for substitute positions after you have registered with E-School SmartFindExpress.
12. Questions regarding this process can be directed to either Yeevonne Connolly (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lynn Sprouse (email@example.com) or by calling the Human Resources department at (540) 434-9916.